You guys, this is the 100th post I’ve written for this blog!
Ok, that’s a little bit of a lie. Because of the way I had things scheduled, this is actually post number 101. Tomato, tomahto.
I have to say, I was astounded when I realized how many posts I have written for this site, mainly because I’m always worried about running out of ideas. I mean, there’s only so many topics out there. However, there seems to be an infinite amount of ways to look at those topics and enough facets to each of them that I can come up with enough material, which is pretty cool.
I originally had something else planned for this spot, but I couldn’t bring myself to let this milestone pass without a little fan-fare.
I am a firm believer that we have to take a moment to celebrate each milestone we pass, even if it seems insignificant. It doesn’t have to be a big blow-out. Even a moment of quiet appreciation and recognition will do. What matters is recognizing our achievements so that we are motivated to keep working towards the larger goal. After all, success isn’t really about achieving one big moment; it’s a parade of small moments that add up to something great at the end.
This doesn’t apply only to our biggest goals and dreams, either. Anything we set out to do deserves the same amount of respect and acknowledgement. We absolutely have to be our own cheerleaders, especially for accomplishments that really only matter to us.
It’s so easy to let the small victories pass us by without a second thought. What’s one pound lost or one drawer decluttered? What’s one day of getting enough water? Heck, for those of us suffering from anxiety or depression, just getting out of bed in the morning can be a huge win, even though it seems like a given to others. Keeping your cool while your kids are acting like drunken monkeys? That’s definitely a win.
Think about all the small victories you achieve every day. I can guarantee you that you totally rocked it at something in the last 24 hours. Go ahead and congratulate yourself, you magnificent being!
I recommend adding these mini-celebrations to your daily self-care routine. Not sure what you can do to mark these occasions? Here’s 15 ideas to get you started:
- Simply tell yourself, “good job!”
- Do a little happy dance.
- Have a piece of chocolate (or whatever your favorite treat is).
- Enjoy an adult beverage.
- Treat yourself to an at-home spa day with a long bath, facemask, and whatever else makes you feel pampered.
- Make your favorite meal.
- Reach over your shoulder and give yourself a pat on the back.
- Give yourself permission to do nothing for an hour.
- Rewatch a favorite movie.
- Allow yourself to take a nap. (Seriously, is napping not the ultimate reward?)
- Write about it in your journal..
- Call your mom or your best friend and brag a little.
- Buy yourself a small gift.
- Burn a candle and reflect on your progress.
- Say a prayer of gratitude that everything aligned just right and allowed you to do the thing.
Of course, you can always send yourself flowers, order a cake, or throw a huge party if you want, that’s on you. The idea is to keep the rewards proportional to the size of the achievement.
I’m sure you can come up with even more awesome ideas that aren’t on this list and I would love to hear them. Drop me a line in the comments below and let us know what your favorite rewards are or tell us about a recent win!